Saturday, October 25, 2014

A few thoughts on worship

Worship aboard the Africa Mercy is an experience of praise I have never experienced before.  On the AFM, you can see that people love Jesus.  People talk about Jesus, you see people praying, countless people with their Bibles and journals out in the café, but once you bring us all together for some worshiping, the community gets taken to a whole new level.

Yesterday marked my second time of worship on the ship, we were worshiping the night before we got into Madagascar.  The first time was my first full Sunday and there was a scheduled time of worship out in the café lobby, an open place where people can congregate on level 5 in the Starbucks café and on deck 6 in midships, but still see down into the cafe.  It fills up quickly and there’s people everywhere, sitting against walls, on the stairs, leaning on the rails.  Someone picks up a guitar, someone maybe gets on the bongo drums, and singing ensues.

The songs are the typical worship songs, some newer ones I don’t know, others are old favorites.  I think my favorite part is looking over all the people from so many different countries, worshiping in one room for one God.  As soon as I close my eyes the ship goes away and all I can see and feel is light and His people worshiping before His great throne.  God smiles and our voices rise that much higher and more harmonious that it has to be close to what heaven sounds like. 

Those glimpses of heaven don’t come often; it’s in the quiet of a morning sunset before we reach the dock in Madagascar, it’s in the vast expanse of the ocean, it’s in the silence of the stars in the middle of the ocean, it’s in a prayer in a different language yet felt just as clearly in the soul as though you were praying it yourself. 


Worship is rejuvenating, it’s what we were created to do in the first place; enjoy our Father.  And that’s all I got to say about that.


This is Ephesians 3:2 written down in the engine room of the ship.
"assuming, by the way, that you know God  gave me the special responsibility of extending His grace to you Gentiles."

No comments:

Post a Comment