Friday, October 24, 2014

Adjusting to life at sea

We are about halfway through our sail to Madagascar, estimated to arrive early Saturday morning, so about midnight on Friday for all my east coast friends.  Ship life has definitely taken some getting used to.  We’ve recently hit some rougher swells; chairs have slid across the room, people’s food swept right out from under them mid-bite.  I will say if you can find a good chair and blanket, the rocking does make for a very peaceful nap.  It almost takes you back to child hood where you got rocked to sleep like a baby.   It’s always cold on the ship, and I did not expect that to be the case, thus I did not prepare well.  I have also prayed for the Lord to provide me with a sweatshirt or sweatpants, and I believe He will give them to me in due time. He knows what I need.


Nursing orientation has been going on all week.  We’re learning the procedures and protocol for the wards and I’m pretty sure everyone is itching to get to Madagascar already.  I just found out that I will be part of Ward B, performing orthopedic surgeries first, then plastics, then VVF (vesico-vaginal fistulas) later on in the field service.  Today we had a general overview of all the surgical procedures we will see on the wards, it was so gratifying to finally talk nursing language again.  It’s been over 2 and ½ months since I’ve worked.
Physically I am doing much better, sea sickness has been manageable, I rarely do anything in my cabin, as it is very tiny and claustrophobic at times.  My bunk mate and I attempted exercising a bit on the 2nd deck on the bicycle machines, and let’s just say we created our own “ride in the park” with all the swells and dips the ship took.

Emotionally, I had to make some adjustments to my quiet times, as there aren't many private places on the ship to go to for complete quiet. My prayer life has been something I have devoted extra effort to, and I’m seeing fruit.  My time talking with Him is getting longer, sweeter, more personal and intimate.  The community here is continually praying, so luckily it’s part of the culture of the ship.

I’ll share one of my favorite moments so far, then I’ll stop writing.

One of the first nights we were sailing, some friends decided to go out to the stern (the back of the ship).  Several people had some great knowledge of the constellations already and the night was incredibly clear.  We could see everything imaginable: Mars, the Southern Cross, Alpha and Beta, Scorpio, Antarsis (?), the Milky Way, the Clouds of Magellan, even a few quick shooting stars.  It was beyond fascinating.  That was the first time I had been outside to look up at the stars and witness the Southern Hemisphere night sky.  The stars were so much more gripping than anything I’ve seen back home, and no doubt it had much to do with being in the middle of the ocean, untouched by city lights.

Anyway, we spent a good 30-40 minutes up there before people wanted to go inside.  As some straggled away, I asked if anyone wanted to stay and pray with me.  I was so overcome with the fact that this moment was incredibly special, I had no other option but to stand in awe and praise.  The ones that hadn’t gone in stayed out with me, and I just started praying while gazing at the stars and the galaxy that had the Lord’s name written all over it.  The three others that were with me prayed as well, one spoke in her native German language- it was glorious, knowing our Daddy knew every word she said, as clearly as I heard my other sisters praying in English.  As one of us was praying, I had lowered my eyes, I heard the girl next to me gasp!  I opened my eyes and witnessed the BRIGHTEST, SHINIEST  orange shooting star go across the sky.  I can still picture it.  It was one of those moments you immediately feel the Lord’s presence magnify exponentially and your heart becomes so overcome you can do nothing but be silent and stilled.

God showed the four of us an amazing sight, and He didn’t have to.  I did not have the best day emotionally, and He seriously gave me the best “pick me up” hug imaginable.  God has incredible things set for this field service.  The days leading up to it have been challenging, but He’s also led me back to Romans 5:3 “Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And this hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom He has given us.”

Indeed, though my suffering may only be emotional and a little physical right now, God’s spirit is at work, and His love never fails.  I can rest in knowing I am being prepared to persevere and build my character which will grow hope.  I can feel this hope will be imperative once we get to our dock.  I have no idea what lies before us, but I know it will be more challenging than anything I’ve ever faced.  We’ve been getting briefings on the culture of Madagascar and the place we will docked is known for being a “sexual getaway” for many foreigners.  There is definitely a power not of the Lord at work there.  The nurses and the rest of the crew are dedicated to working in the Spirit, prayerfully preparing our hearts to love and contribute whatever we can to the people of Madagascar.  God is in ultimate control and I didn’t come here to leave the same person.




No comments:

Post a Comment