Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Mercy Ships Thanksgiving!

Since my last post, I’ve had a joyful time of giving Thanks on the Africa Mercy, celebrating Thanksgiving.  Mercy Ships usually celebrates a “one day- international Thanksgiving” for all nations and their respective holidays.  This year, that day just happened to fall on the American Thanksgiving.

I could not think of a better Thanksgiving away from home. My day started with day shift in the ward, mostly playing with the kiddos, since no surgeries were scheduled for the holiday.  Playing consisted of lots of belly laughs, joy that filled the room and sending a few kids home with straighter legs than when they arrived.

Right after my shift, I baked with a friend and we made apple chips to bring to our dockside dinner.  The more time I spend one on one with friends, the more I realize how high my spirits raise with more intimate conversation.  I love the silly jokes, the funny cooking mishaps, and how cooking together naturally fosters community.  Thank goodness for other foodies like me.

Dinner time came quickly. We finished our apple chips and went down to the dining room to make our plates, along with an additional separate plate of desserts, and headed out to the warehouse to share our meal.  We sat family style on picnic chairs, with long benches set up as our table, at least 30 feet long, filled with people.  Conversation was abundant, the Macy’s Day parade from 2013 was played on a projector, JMU Marching Royal Dukes made an appearance, where I gave my timely “JMU DUUUKES” cheer.  Corn hole was played, the ping pong table was active and competitive, and we played and enjoyed each other long into the evening.  My night ended with a family phone call, just after my family had eaten together.  As cliché as it will sound, I felt like Madagascar wasn’t halfway across the world for that short hour I got to talk to family.  The phone delay was a struggle, but comical at the same time. 
The food was delicious! 
Who am I to deserve to be so richly blessed, when so often I crumble under pressure and lose sight of my Holy God?  So many things I’ve realized I’m lacking from home: no Facetime, inability to easily receive packages, not my normal coffee, sparse wardrobe, doubt in my ability to be a nurse- and all have been abolished. The Lord has come into each of those things and gifted me.  Our internet has just been updated tenfold to the point we have Facebook online all day (instead of blocked off from 8A-6P to save bandwith), facetime is up and working, my family is going to be able to send a small care package through crew mail- instead of missing Christmas because they didn’t send something in time to arrive on a container, I bought a coffee press and have my own ground coffee, I’ve found warmer clothes in the ship boutique (all free), and just last night I got to act for one of my patients who needed several nursing interventions after his surgery. 

Each of those things was definitely hard to swallow when I realized I would have to go without them for 6 months.  I certainly didn’t cope gracefully.  But each of those things I can feel confident that if I didn’t have them and the subsequent rich blessings I have now, I would still be okay.  I could still be content because I’m here doing what I set out to do.  I have Jesus with me, moving and acting in me and the people around me.  He is becoming more of my portion. The fact that I get to have these comforts back, I will never understand.  His love continues to baffle me, but I’m thankful.

Other things I’m thankful for:
  1. Overflowing joy in belly laughs
  2. For friends and family who continue to include me in their lives though so many miles separate us
  3. That Hallelujah and Hosanna are the same in English and Malagasy
  4. For embracing emotions and the subsequent growth and enlightenment it brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment