Saturday, March 28, 2015

Long road to restoring dignity

I just finished my day shift to stick around and participate in our first Dress ceremony for our VVF ladies.  This is a day that celebrates our current VVF patients getting discharged from the ship for good, today we had 5.  These women come from the bush, traveled by bus, some by plane to get here, some have no teeth in the front, many cannot read, some have been leaking for 30 years, some only 6 months, but they are all walking out of this place DRY.

Dry means they can regain their dignity- our prayer since the start of this specialty. Dry means they can work again, it means hope and a fuller life.   If I try to stop and think what it would be like if I had constant leaking, no resources to help stop it, a family to raise, money to earn with few job opportunities, I can't even fathom the life struggle that would bring.  It's horrible to even consider.

The Dress ceremony day has been advertised all over the ship this week.  Many people came, the ward was full of people from all over the ship.  When the ceremony started, the women processed from an empty ward where they had gotten ready- given a new dress, hat, necklace and makeup done- they were beautiful. All of us waited in the ward in anticipation, listening to them sing a worship song down the hall.  They came in, and sat in the middle of the ward, similar to queens sitting at their throne. A few more songs were sung, a message of thankfulness and joy was given by chaplaincy, then each woman stood and gave a brief testimony of their experience. They were given gifts symbolic of Jesus; soap to remind them who TRULY cleanses them, lotion as a reminder who softens our bruised and broken hearts, and a mirror to remind them that they are beautifully, fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of a God who is crazy about them.

We've fixed their insides with the help of the Lord, but they still have emotional healing to experience.  All the women stared at the ground any time there was attention placed on them.  I wanted so badly to lift their chins and breathe pride into their hearts that still need transformation.  They remind me of Moses, when God told him he would be the one to talk to Pharaoh.  He thought there was no way he could be the one, because he wasn't good at speaking.  But Moses didn't have a say in God's choice.  Neither do these women.  Being healed and experiencing Mercy Ships elevates them to a place not many are chosen to go.  I have no idea what that actually looks like, but these women have plans, and by plans, I pray they rock the foundation of their towns, the sin of prostitution in this country, the injustice of women as old as 15-16 years old getting pregnant by men who shouldn't be meddling with women that young.   They are a physical picture of redemption, but I sense the heart can be a little slower to win over.

some of our women still patients in the ward

One of my other thoughts brewing currently is what it looks like for these women to be called away from everything they've ever known to a place that claims they can heal them- that's faith if I ever saw it.  Many have likely never ventured far from home, never seen the coast even.  Many come from dark pasts, men that treated them badly, excruciatingly painful  labors and deep anguish of losing a baby, if not several babies.  They have nothing to lose.

I picture the Lord drawing them away to the desert, similar to Hosea 2:14 "But then I will win her back once again. I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her there."  I would consider traveling many hours from home, staying on a foreign hospital ship with white people taking care of you in a very intimate way- the desert. They have minimal contact with home as they are not able to bring caregivers to stay in the hospital, and many can't afford phones.  I catch my breath imagining our tender Father doing to these women what He did in me 6 very short years ago.  It took me 18 years of wandering to finally tune my ear to listen, and I had nothing near the degree of turmoil these women have overcome.  I don't downplay my story at all, but if it gives anyone inspiration for prayer for these women, that would be it!  It's inspiring to witness several of our patients wrestling with the question of who is Jesus.  In the face of their heartache, several are crying out.  It's thrilling to watch as chaplaincy and our day crew spend time at the bedside, just talking, working through truth that before now has been clouded in their lives. 

Those are just some of my initial thoughts.  I look at these women with the pride of a Mama bear.  Letting these fragile cubs go back to their homes is gut wrenching- not knowing what they're going to face without me, without Mercy Ships.  Again, as with other specialties, I'm not allowed to follow, but having to place faith and trust in a Father who does follow, and goes before them in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment